Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Good, Bad, and the Ugly

Today, in a single day I went through multiple states of mind on my travel from hyderabad to ujjain.

I had an early morning flight and took a taxi. During this time, the number of cars on the road is less, and the bikers lesser. The interesting thing is that people drove in lanes, instead of the normal chaos you see during daytime, where no one seems to bother about driving in lanes.

The road to the Hyderabad airport, is smooth. I cannot help but compare it to an early morning ride to the airport in the US. The security check is interesting. We make 4 queues for passage through the same security door, everyone is in a hurry to cross this hurdle to reach the next position of advantage.

The sunrise is beautiful. At first it is a mix pink, orange, blue and many other shades, and then a brilliant sun rises on the horizon. We still are on the ground and I get a great view.

It takes me 3.5 hours to cover about 1000km from hyd to indore and another 2.5 to get to Ujjain from Indore which is about 60km. The roads between ujjan indore are ancient, and at one time we have a bullock cart in front of us. But what gladdens my heart is that the whole strip between Indore and Ujjain, a new 4 lane road is under construction, and the work seems to be progressing rapidly. I hear it will be done in a year. I think, development wise, this is the single biggest change Ujjain is witnessing since the days it's used to be a center of trade some centuries ago. Probably railway lines was another.

The state of honking is equally ugly here. Some suckers have a while 1 loop, literally. But the fields are a relief for the mind. They are lush green, and pleasant to the eye. I roll the windows and let the atmosphere in. It's a fresh feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment