Sunday, November 22, 2009

One Way Trip

Close friends dropped me at the airport. I was flying Denver-Chicago-Frankfurt-Dehli-Hyd. Yeh it seems long, and it is long! After boarding the flight in Chicago, I couldn't stop my tears. People turned and peeked to take a look. Oh well.

Luckily, met interesting people in the flight. This kid who's still in high school, he was traveling by himself, wanted to go to college and do something in computers. He seemed so carefree, and I envied that. A young lady who sat next to me researches in food processing and was flying for her marriage. She told me she had worked on an anthrax strain and that if you have an open mind about things, that will help in India.

A mother of two adults who sat next to us, was overjoyed to find us chattering and joined the conversation. She has lived in Frankfurt for 25 years now, the kids have left, and for her home is where husband is.

Happened to meet this pediatrician from Chicago who had married a Punjabi. I told her I was a software engineer, and isn't all the software for the medical processing a good thing. She said she hated the software trainings :), and that they don't write a single thing on paper anymore. No prescriptions, no records. She was visiting family.

Meeting a variety of people was liberating from the nostalgic thoughts that had brought the tears. In Delhi, we had to switch planes and so we stepped out of the airport into a bus. That was the first air I breathed in Des, and it was the opposite of boulder dry. I took a deep breath and it felt good.

1 comment: